one faint deluded smile

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

:-)

:-(

My daily download limits have been reached quite quickly in the past couple of days. That God-damned Industrial music sure has a big following. Thanks to all for coming along. Please come back in a day or so if you can't get what you want. I'll be deleting the P16.D4. and RLW material after that.

NB - have taken these down now...

:-)

I saw Brian Wilson performing "Smile" last night at the always lovely Sydney Opera House. I'd been dissapointed by the CD - great songs held together by flimsy musical interludes - and so didn't have any great expectations about the show. But live it worked very well as a single entity - it clicked and really made sense in a kind of Gershwin cod-classical way. For me it's all about those gorgeous harmonies and so there were many moments where spine tingling vocal chords shimmered in the air.

The man himself was in fine form. I think all the touring and recording in the past couple of years has not only made his voice stronger again but has also increased his confidence levels dramatically. He was obviously enjoying himself, even if his strange, blank gaze sometimes still reminds me of the post-encephalitic patients from Oliver Sacks' "Awakenings".

Probyn Gregory - the guitarist, vocalist, (sort of) thereminist, cornet, bits andf bobs player was the easily best of the band. His obvious enjoyment of playing this material was infectious. And... his face is very reminiscent of someone from my past but I'll be buggered if I can remember who.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home