one faint deluded smile

Friday, December 17, 2004

The Minor Key Kings Of '04

the Kings of Convenience smooch about

For those that care, I'll post my top of 2004 list sometime in January but for now I'll just go through some songs that made me feel excited about listening to music all over again...

Kings of Convenience : mp3 - Misread

Are KoC a parody band? It seems unlikely as the evidence of interviws points to a real need to play this kind of music. I still can't work out if their slavish re-creations of now ancient, soft folk styles is to be admired or to be reviled but I really am a sucker for close harmonies and jazzy chords. I've played this song so much that it's become like a little member of my family. Most other people I've played it to have ignored it after one scant listen - more fool them.

Pinback : mp3 - Fortress

I suppose Pinback are in a similar vein with their pristine vocals and perfect note placements but at least they sound like they're from, ya know, the last decade at least. Their latest album is made up of annoying re-iterations of their own, more enticing past but at least this one song has enough forward drive to make it memorable.

Phoenix : mp3 - Run Run Run

Yes, I know, it's becoming obvious that I adore well made, harmonically clever pop music. Phoenix fit this bill very well although I have a slight inkling that, maybe, just maybe, they're record industry whores of the first order. But anyone who can make a one note guitar riff sound so compelling needs to be heard by the millions.

Polly Paulusma : mp3 - I Was Made To Love You

This is treading very close to the unfortunate, wearisome territory of that piano playing daughter of Ravi Shankar (whose name is lost to me at this very moment in chardonnay haze). But there's some unique flavour in Paula's delivery that sits right on my heart and makes it flutter. When I first heard this track I had a quiet little cry. That's enough to make it great in my books.

Rufus Wainwright : mp3 - Peach Trees

Hooray, I've got tickets to see younger Wainwrights, their mum and aunt in Sydney early February. I may enjoy this more than their collective interpretations of fellow Canadian Cohen in January and, if Rufus can replicate the gorgeous sumptuousness of this song, then I'll be in a kind of melodic heaven.

White Magic : mp3 - One Note

A little less clean and clear than all the previous songs, built on a repeated off kilter piano riff that reminds me of the very best DIY post-punk from back in the days. And, once again, a great, great vocal line unexpectedly jumping into higher registers.

Tin Hat Trio : mp3 - Same Shirt...

A lithe instrumental interlude to remind us all that wonderfull musicians can create something vital instead of making us cringe with their self important wankery.

Klang : mp3 - No Thing

At last - a singer who can't really sing. Just a lot of rock'n'roll mumbles with a gritty riff. So that'll please those indie lovers out there. Truthfully this is better than all the Kills and White Stripes and so on lumped together.

Deerhoof : mp3 - Milkman

More less than perfect singing (and all the better for it) but, christ, that guitar playing is dazzling - classic rock mixed with Fred Frith and an arrangement that I wish I'd thought of.

Fiery Furnaces : mp3 - Straight Street

And speaking of arrangements, I'll end with a song that is almost all arangement and nothing much else at all. The section near the end where the verses return covered by drone organ and a sqealing violin is worth the price of entry alone. THE band of 2004.

1 Comments:

  • annette - thanks for the comment. glad to know someone's out there enjoying the stuff - my 50Mg daily dload limit is used up almost every day. great songs one and all - hope you can get them when you return.

    By Blogger Phil, at 4:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home