one faint deluded smile

Monday, January 03, 2005

Up 'n' Away

Up, Up and Away

Unlike many of my peers (and a whole slew of critics over the years), I'd never loathed 60s loungey vocal groups and so on. They always sounded pretty and innocuous and vapid and quite, quite lovely on the radio. And they still do too, although on my big hi-fi speakers they sound even better with a clarity and lightness of production that you don't often find anymore.

I've got nothing much to say about any of these except that I love them all dearly and they manage to soothe me in these sad times.

mp3: Augusto Alguero - Discoteque

No vocals on this one, just a delightfull piece of fluff found on the 1st Inflight Entertainment cd (which you can buy here)

mp3: Brigitte Bardot - Je danse donc je suis

A similar style - sexy euro pop - with the added langorous gaze of BB. Buy her best of.

mp3: Harpers Bizarre - Witchi Tai To

The only unusual thing HB ever did (they were usually too sickly even for my tastes). Try this old PSF article too. Buy their best of.

mp3: The 5th Dimension - California My Way

One of the highlights of the 5th's 1st album with a wonderfull, complicated, un-nerving vocal chord at the end of the 1st line of the pre-chorus section: "yes, I do, I really, want to go there". Buy their stuff here.

mp3: The Association - Everything That Touches You

The real highlight of The Association's recordings with the softness of the 1st verse gradually transformed into a magical vocal beast as the song moves forward. Buy it here.

Also have a look at the Vocal Group Hall Of Fame for really bad MIDI (and some good overviews).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home