one faint deluded smile

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

a raft of recent things

You think you're going to get something interesting and mostly it turns out otherwise...

Extradition - Hush A lost Australian psych-folk band from the early 70s or so the hype describes them. A few interestiong chord changes and crystal clear singing wrapping up lots of flute (still can't handle that sound) and mediocre tunes. Appropo of nothing... switching title for band name, Hush were an Oz pub rock version of glam whose guitarist used ot go to my high school. I saw them once at Rockdale Town Hall on a triple bill with The La De Das and someone else. Nope, that wasn't any better than this album.

Cocorosie - La Maison de Mon Reve 2 sisters singing in a lo-fi bluesy stylee. Not many tunes. Too much blues. The naivety seems forced.

Faust vs Dalek - Derbe Respect, Alder There was a time when any speck of Faust's output would make me salivate. They're still good in their own way but they don't have a single element of the old Faust style that I used to love and adore. This one is better than Ravvivando of a few years ago but still uncompelling for me.

Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose The harsher alt-c&w backing really suits her voice (still fantastic after all these years). Not one I'll play a lot of but there's still more than enough for me to chew on occassionaly.

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow I knew I'd dislike this one. The tracks I'd heard from their 1st album did nothing for me and this one is just about the same. They remind me of a less melodic, less pop interested The Las which could be a good thing but really doesn't turn out that way at all.

Polly Paulusma - Scissors In my Pocket Very pleasant, if rather innocuous, singer songwriter material. Not one I'll turn off but it will bore me to tears after a while - like Shawn Colvin and her ilk have done in the past.

Arm - Open Reminder Glitchy electronics mixed with some live instruments. Similar in many ways to Supersilent. Must be something in the Scandinavian air. Needs more time to sink in but so far it holds medium interest only.

Basil Kirchin - Charcoal Sketches and States of Mind More weird mixing of orchestral works, electronics and free improv. Some sort of genius or so they'd have us believe. I've stuck with them all so far but it's only tangentially intruiging.

Nick Drake - Made To Love Magic Oh, read about it somewhere else. Still a lovely voice, etc.

Radiohead - Com Lag / I Might Be Wrong More detritus from an almost favourite band. When WILL I ever listen to this stuff.

Or any of this stuff for that matter. If I listen to it on the train I fall asleep. If I listen to it at home I turn it off. Gotta get some sort of grip...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home