one faint deluded smile

Thursday, June 24, 2004

A Small Reversal

I've listened to the new album by the Kings of Convenience more than my initial impressions (below) would have led me to believe. That just goes to show that sometimes you just have to listen in the right environment. "Riot on an Empty Street" became crystal clear for me this morning as I rode through the 5am darkness on the commuter train, drifting in and out of a vague sleep.

There are at least 2 great songs. The last track is very sombre with a minimalist vocal line where a kind of bluesy note is always reached at the end of the phrase but with slightly different chords beneath it - very lovely. The 2nd track contains all that is wonderfull about early Everything But The Girl albums like "Eden" (Ie the continuation of the Brazilian influence) but without the slightly mawkish, "oh me oh my" attitude. Terrificly simple piano parts too - makes me think I could still make some good music if I tried hard enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home